Sunday, September 16, 2012

Circa 1982

Would I have been a more successful author or less successful 30 years ago, before personal computers, Internet, e-mails and blog posts? I doubt I would have had the patience to hammer out 600+ pages of a novel on my old electric typewriter, and publicity in 1982 can't compare to what's available via the Web today. Still, I haven't yet got the hang of this whole blog thing. Entries that I thought were going on the blog were going to my g-mail account. <sigh> Little by little, I'm approaching the 21st century, though. I hope I get there before it's all over!

Character for the day: Yovana. A healer, she's based loosely on a certain retired nurse I know – someone who can't help herself from helping others.
Quote:
Bueno, bueno. Don’t help an old woman," Yovana moaned. "Just forget all the kindnesses I’ve done you all your life. Forget how I helped bring you into this world twenty-odd years ago - feet first, I might add.”  
“Will you never stop bringing that up? As if it was my fault!" Luis retorted. "Oh, all right, she comes with me. But not until tomorrow. Maybe I can get my work here done today - unless you have something to say about that as well, Abuela?”
“Me? No. What say do I have in your life?” The old woman smiled at him.

No comments:

Post a Comment