Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Leaving the nest

Artists and writers sometimes say that the works they produce feel like their babies. After selling several copies at a book signing in August, I felt like a few of my little chicks had flown from the nest. I found myself wondering where they had settled, who was spending time with them, and if they were keeping their new companions entertained.
A similar thought occured to me recently as I was talking with a fellow writer about the need for outside critiques. We can't be objective about our own work, just as we can't be completely objective about our own kids. As parents, we occasionally need to hear from a teacher or coach that our kids may not be as perfect as we believe. Those comments can be hard to hear, but without them, we can't effectively help our kids to grow.
Likewise, years ago I believed I was submitting a master opus to a certain agent, and was deeply hurt to hear him say otherwise. But without his critique I would never have worked to create the novel I'm so proud of today. I'm sure I'll encounter other such criticisms in the future, but I think I can more easily accept them now as part of the growth process.

No comments:

Post a Comment