Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Above all, the two subjects to avoid are politics and...

Religion. The thorniest of subjects. There are many biblical allusions throughout the novel; the title itself is a biblical reference, Bible verses head the vignettes throughout the book, and the characters read and discuss the Bible. However, it doesn't strictly adhere to any Christian denomination. If I worried about marketing I would have done some cloying philosophy. But I don't want to use people's faith as a marketing tool, so I will probably alienate every organized religion in the known world. Non-Christians will be put off that there are any references to God and Jesus at all. Catholics may not agree with the portrayal of Yovana or Fathers Joseph and Michael. Evangelicals may be offended by the violent and sexual content of the story. (This ain't no Janette Oake novel.) But as Maggie says, if you don't want to read about sex and violence, the book to avoid above all others would be the Bible.

The title - The inside page contains the Bible verse that inspired the title: 

We have these treasures in earthen vessels,
so that the surpassing greatness of the power
will be of God and not from ourselves." 
2 Corinthians 4:7

I'm no Biblical scholar, so I won't attempt to comment on St. Paul's intentions in writing this. I can say, however, that this verse never captured my attention until someone explained that we, God's children, are the earthen vessels. It fit in with the theme of priceless riches that I wanted to write about. As a teacher, especially, I love the idea that God has created each person with a treasure inside. My job is to uncover it and help the student share that treasure with the world.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment