Monday, September 17, 2012

Can a Muse wear out her welcome?

   My creative writing energy has always come in intense bursts that last maybe a week or 10 days. This latest surge, though, went on for three weeks! I pounded out 40+ pages in 20 days. This may not sound like much, but many writers with a day job feel lucky to put out a page a day.
   Usually I feel disappointed when my muse moves on, but this time I was a little relieved. It was like a wild friend had moved in, wanting to party all the time, waking me up at all hours. The dust on my furniture was an inch thick and I hadn't cooked a hot meal in weeks. I was happy to bid my muse good-bye... for a while.
TODAY'S CHARACTER: Maggie, la protagonista. Colorado farm girl cum pharmecutical rep. Cancer has claimed her mother's life, and now threatens her sister's. She gets wind online of a plant growing in the jungles of Colombia that may have anti-cancer properties. When her employer deems research for the plant too risky to be profitable, Maggie is the type of girl who goes after it herself. Finding herself in a primitive village, hiding out from the regional cocaine cartel, it occurs to her that maybe she didn't really think this one through.

No comments:

Post a Comment