Monday, June 17, 2013

How can I miss you if you won't go away?

I really enjoy my career in education, but teaching is an intense occupation psychologically and physically. By the time Memorial Day rolls around each year I am really ready to take a break from students, grading, lesson plans – all of it. But long before the fall semester begins, I'm missing my kids, my colleagues and the stimulation that the job entails. I return to the classroom refreshed and reinvigorated.
In a related vein, every summer my husband goes out of town for about ten days on business. It is hard on me to take over the many tasks he takes charge of around home, and it's much harder on him to work the long hours of this temporary job. But this little time spent apart is just enough to make each of us appreciate the another.
Similarly, I often get the question, “How do you deal with writers block?” My first line of defense is to take a break. When you feel like your characters aren't cooperating, that the plot is hopelessly tangled, and the words just won't come, oftentimes the best thing to do is walk away. It may be for an hour, it may be for a day, it may be longer. (In composing this entry, I've taken three mini-breaks of a minute or so.)
Let me clarify I'm saying to take a break from that particular piece. It's advisable to keep that writing part of the brain moving with other projects.
The inevitable question is, “What if I never return from that break?” and I admit that is a risk. My personal advice is don't let more than a couple of weeks go by before you at least look at it again. In completing Earthen Vessels, I sometimes put the work away for a year or more. I don't know if that works for everyone, but I think that's the way it had to be for me.
Almost without fail, with a sufficient separation from the work, the knots in your plot will unravel, the phrases will flow again, and your characters will call out to you, demanding to be heard. It brings to mind the old children's rhyme:
Little Bo Peep
has lost her sheep
and doesn't know where to find them.
Leave them alone
and they'll come home,
wagging their tails behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment