Monday, June 24, 2013

1-800-SEE-PAGE

Traffic seems to be moving at a steady pace, with another hundred views every couple of weeks.
In honor of my 800th view, the next installment of EV (from pages 20-21) appears below.
As always, I would welcome comments.

She girds her loins with strength
and makes her arms strong.
She perceives that her merchandise is profitable

Proverbs 31:17, 18 (RSV)

Once they were airborne, Maggie was struck with the notion that God was punishing her for being too talkative over her life. Lately it didn’t matter whether she was on a commuter plane or a 747 or even this little two-seater, she wound up beside the nut who wanted to talk - about himself.
So what did Paul say about me in his recommendation?”
Truthfully, it wasn’t exactly a recommendation. He just mentioned you is all.”
Well then, what did he mention about me?”
Your name, Marc. He mentioned your name and nothing else.” And like a fool, she thought, I took a word from a near stranger as some sort of sign. “Doesn’t matter, though,” Maggie continued, stretching and yawning. “I had you pegged inside two minutes.”
Oh really? Do tell."
"Well, you’re cocky and you’re lazy without the build or the looks to go with it.” She started to apologize for her bluntness, but decided he didn’t deserve it. "That means you come from money. Money that’s obviously slipped away one way or another. How am I doing so far?”
He glanced over at her with surprise and annoyance, but he admitted, “Not bad.”
At your tender age, it’s not likely you’ve already lost it in bad investments, so my guess is that mummy and daddy disowned us over, oh, let’s see, what was it? Maybe they had to foot the bill for one too many fights at the old frat house? Got a girl in trouble, maybe - a girl they didn’t want to welcome into the family? Or did they just get tired of bailing you out of jail, replacing your smashed up sports cars-”
Okay, yeah, you’re pretty close, close enough. You’re good at this.”
Maggie shrugged. “You’ve got ‘college drop-out’ written all over you.” It crossed her mind that he might have lost his money through an expensive drug habit, and maybe he was paying it off by delivering the stuff he used. She’d read somewhere that one in five people in Colombia was involved in the cocaine trade, at least indirectly. She decided she didn’t want to know where Marc fit into those numbers, and was glad when he changed the subject.
"Well then,” he said, “I'd have to say you have ‘graduate school’ written all over you."
Grudgingly, Maggie nodded. “Not bad for a guy who normally thinks with his nether regions. As I was saying before, I got licensed as a physician's assistant, and then got a degree in business...”
Marc started wagging his head to the rhythm of her voice as she ticked off her list. “Did I ask you for your résumé?”
...I had a couple of summer internships for various agencies. One was in Ecuador, running a lab for the VISA program and…”
I don’t remember asking for your résumé -”
“…then I got this sales position with Worthington Pharmaceuticals. I logged three thousand miles for sales calls last year, and the profit margin for my division went up twelve percent. My goal was to be head of sales before I was forty.”
Gee, and I thought we had nothing in common. I myself handle pharmaceutical sales of a sort.” He delivered another grin. “Non-prescription strength."

No comments:

Post a Comment