Sunday, May 19, 2013

Wanted: an agent... to find me an agent

The logic train behind that heading is leaving the station now: Hop on, won't you?
Writing is what I do. I'd like to keep doing it. I'd like it to be all I do. In order for this to happen, I have to have readers. In order to have readers, I have to promote my book. Promoting the book means taking time from what I really want to do, which, as I mentioned, is writing. (Next stop: Publishire)
Wouldn't be nice if there were people to do some of that promotion for me? There are such people: they are called publishers. They connect with retailers, produce promotional materials, issue press releases, and get the book reviewed, so that it finds its way to the readers. (Next stop: Agentown)
Wouldn't it be nice if there were people to help authors and publishers find each other? There are such people: They are called literary agents. The agent directs all that promotion to publishers, convincing them to get the work to the readers. Wow, great! So now all I need to do now is get an agent. (Next stop: Netville)
In this day and age, finding an agent - like everything else – is mostly done via the Internet. You log on to search engines that direct you to websites that list literary agents, possibly hundreds of them. You log on to those sites and sift through the listings to find which ones will consider unpublished authors in your format and your genre. You log on to their sites to learn their submission procedure. Finally you submit your work and you wait. (Next stop: Mt. Patience)
Wouldn't it be nice if there were people to help authors find agents? Wouldn't it? Are there such people? I don't know. All I know is I'm spending a lot of time trying to find an agent to find me a publisher to find me some readers. I'm not complaining – I'm glad for the opportunity. It's just that, well, it's time I'd rather spend writing. (We've come full circle and this is the end of the line. As you exit, mind the gap.)

No comments:

Post a Comment