Sunday, May 11, 2014

It happens every spring


 We've all heard that "in springtime, a young man’s fancy turns to love," but I'm talking about something else here.
All through April and sometimes May we slog along under grey skies, cursing biting winds and raw temperatures. Intellectually, we grant a grudging acknowledgement that spring will have to arrive sooner or later. Spiritually, we’re not sure we believe it. And then one day the sun breaks through, plants come to life and we soak up the beauty, smugly thinking, “I knew all along that things would work out.”

Just two weeks ago I shared on this site that my job had been eliminated and that I would soon be out of work. Some days things looked very bleak indeed. Thinking this might be my chance to finally realize a writing career, I dutifully sent out submissions. Intellectually I knew you can’t get a yes if you never ask the question, but spiritually I wasn’t sure a yes would ever come.
Then on Monday I got the call: “We read your script, we really like it and we want to publish it.” Yes! Yes! I got my yes! Luckily, a few unsuspecting co-workers were nearby for me to hug and shake and scream at. Otherwise, I might have exploded from sheer excitement.
So for all you aspiring authors out there, I wish for you this springtime sort of moment. After a long, harsh winter of rejections, I wish you “Yes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment