Saturday, April 26, 2014

Will Write for Food


I’ve been wondering lately (I’ll explain why in a minute): how many jobs does the average person have in a lifetime? A woman in my building is retiring this year after 42 years there. She spent her whole career in the same job, working for the same organization. One career, one job.

Since my first job in college 32 years ago, I’ve had no fewer than sixteen jobs, making for an average of a new job every two years. The longest so far was seven years, the shortest, I think, was about six months. Ten I’ve quit for something better or because I was moving away, never because it was so awful I had to leave. Twice I’ve been laid off. Twice I was unjustly fired – and of course, those hurt the most at the time. Twice I was let go because I deserved it, and that hurts more to admit now.

The first job I remember ever wanting was a writer. That was in first grade. Forty-odd years later, it’s again (or still?) the job I want most. My mom said the surest way to start hating your hobby was to make it your job, which effectively scared me out of attempting a writing career. “Write for enjoyment, but to make a living give yourself something safe to fall back on.” Good advice, I suppose, but I wonder now if it kept me from working at the writing.

Now my job has been eliminated, and I find myself again in the unhappy position of looking for work. I’m leaving a position after seven years, feeling like I was just starting to get good at it. But I learned something valuable in all these jobs: I used to believe being good at something meant something you didn’t have to work at. I’m finally coming to understand it’s something you’re willing to work at. Am I willing to put in the work it takes to become a successful writer?

I think I’m about to find out.

2 comments:

  1. I can really identify with what you said about believing that being good at something meant you didn't have to work at it, and coming to realize that it's not true.

    I love the studies that have been done on the "growth mindset" and how when you believe that you have to do something easily to be good at it you end up not pushing yourself because you're afraid of proving to yourself that you aren't good at it. But when you believe that you can grow, pushing yourself and sometimes failing becomes just another step in the process of getting even better despite the fact that you're already good, not disproving it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MJ - at half my age you are twice as wise. Conversely, I've sometimes completed a writing assignment successfully and thought, "That wasn't hard. It must not be all that special." Takeaway: Positive but realistic thinking must prevail!

      Delete