Sunday, April 7, 2013

Oh, my long neglected blogspot!

I won't bore anyone by detailing all the reasons I haven't posted anything for so long. It comes down mostly to some minor health issues and being crazy busy with school, and both situations seem to be remedying themselves now.
The only thing I've written in months is the little essay below. The topic is timely for a couple of reasons. I created it for a student who needed a serious shot of confidence before delivering a major speech. Also, the spring flowers are starting to bud just now, including the variety I've detailed in the essay. Enjoy.

Autumn Joy
About 25 years ago, Robert Fulghum made a ton of money from his book, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. As an avid gardener, I believe that all I need to know I learn in the garden. Here are some of the things I have learned:
  • Your leaves and stems can withstand a lot damage if you have strong roots.
  • Sometimes you have to cut a plant down to make it grow up.
  • You can't force a plant to bloom before its time.
When I first got my own yard and flowerbeds, I tried hard to learn how to care for the plants, and I had moderate success. But there was one little plant that seemed to resist all my efforts.

 

It was one of the first to show buds in the spring, but then it just sort of sat there, no matter what I did. What I didn't understand at the time was that this plant was doing just what it's supposed to do.
The flower is called Autumn Joy. It makes its first appearance in March, then bides its time, masquerading as a humble little clump of green. Then finally in August, when most other flowers have died back, this thing shoots out the sturdiest of stems.
Because its stems and buds form a perfect inverted bowl shape, it never needs pruning. Along about September, its blossoms appear in beautiful purples and violets. With a snip of a few stems, it practically arranges itself in a vase.
Over the years I've found it will grow under in sun or shade, drought or flood, rising above whatever hardship it is exposed to. In fact, the only problem it has is that its stems and blossoms are so abundant that it sometimes collapses under their weight. When that happens the plant has to be divided and made into more plants.
After some time, my yard was covered in Autumn Joy. The only thing to do was share it. I've given away more of these plants than I've been able to keep. It's been a privilege to see this beauty spread far and wide.
I believe you are like this flower. It has taken a while, but those sturdy stems have branched out to support vivid blossoms. The only thing you have to do now is share that beauty with others around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment